Benefit from the History team's specialist knowledge and links across the global historical community and develop a deep and systematic understanding of historical research to excel in further studies, or begin your career with confidence thanks to the professional experience opportunities offered.
Studying MA History course at University of Plymouth , you will:
- Join a community of student-historians from a variety of backgrounds with a programme designed to appeal to a range of audiences, including recent graduates, teachers looking to enhance their professional qualifications and those in the local community with a long-standing passion for history.
- Explore history through a variety of means – with a combination of taught and self-led learning, regular research seminars run by University of Plymouth's Centre for Research in Humanities and Performing Arts, and access to The Arts Institute history lecture series featuring world-leading academics.
- Work alongside internationally recognised researchers* and experienced professionals as you develop the skills that will allow you to choose how you progress upon graduation: take your studies further with a PhD, or enter the workplace with the confidence and skills to fast-track your career.
- Plot your own course through the centuries as you take the lead in your masters dissertation research project, and choose areas of study from the history team’s range of research specialisms.
- Explore history with your friends and colleagues by joining the History Society, a lively and supportive community hosting educational and social events.
- Discover the most up-to-date ways of studying history through our online resources including a vast eBook library. Build links with local record offices and archives, accessing opportunities to develop your expertise in the local and regional history of Plymouth and the South West.
Careers with this subject:
Graduate destinations for our recent MA students include funded PhDs, PGCE teacher training, NHS graduate management training, public sector heritage business management, and account executive with an image library. Postgraduate study opens up many other careers in museums, heritage, archives and records.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Key Debates and Research Methods in History
- Public History
- MA History Dissertation
Sub-Saharan Africa in the Global Political Economy
Piracy and Privateering, 1560-1816
The Civil Rights Movement
The French Wars of Religion 1558-1598
The Irish Revolution 1912-37
America and the United Nations 1945 to the present
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Most of our taught programmes begin in September. Applications can usually be made throughout the year, and are considered until programmes are full.
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History View 622 other Masters in History in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- An honours degree in history or a related subject, or a professional qualification recognised as being equivalent to a degree.
- Or an ordinary degree, foundation degree, higher national diploma, or university diploma, accompanied by substantial experience in an appropriate field. References from previous university, employer or similar
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International15700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15700 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8300 GBP per year during 12 months.
Part time (Home) £450 per 10 credits
Living costs for Plymouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.