The MSc in Climate Change at Birkbeck, University of London will help you understand climate change and how this challenge is being tackled by governments, business and other organisations. You will critically evaluate scientific scenarios of future climate and associated impacts, assess the effectiveness of different policy approaches, and determine suitable business responses to the climate change challenge. You will also explore the key debates and ideas from a range of viewpoints, balancing science, policy and business practice.
The course is designed for both climate change practitioners wishing to further develop their understanding of key issues, and those hoping to move into this fast-developing sector.
The compulsory modules give a comprehensive grounding in key topics and an opportunity to reflect on practice at both individual and corporate levels. These are complemented by a wide range of option modules, which allow you to pursue your own interests. In addition, you will receive training in research methods and complete a research project, involving in-depth study of real challenges arising from climate change.
- Listen to an introductory lecture: 'Climate Change and the River Thames' (delivered by Becky Briant).
- Our location in central London offers excellent access to a wide range of research resources, including the Birkbeck Library, the LSE Library of Political and Economic Science (LSE), the Royal Geographical Societyand Senate House Library (University of London).
- The Department of Geography has contacts with many public and private sector organisations, professional bodies and researchers at other academic institutions, which can lead to important networking opportunities.
- Our academic staff are experts in their respective fields, publishing and teaching in a wide range of topics including climate modelling, renewable energy, flooding and coastal adaptation.
- In the Research Excellence Framework (REF), Sociology at Birkbeck was ranked 13th in the UK.
Careers and Employability
Graduates can pursue a career in business, environmental management, local government, policy work, and in environmental groups and charities. Possible professions include nature conservation officer, environmental consultant, or geographical information systems officer.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Climate Change
- Energy and Climate Change
- Corporate Responsibility
- Critical Geographies of Nature (15)
- Development Policy
- Earth Observation and Environmental Dynamics
- Environmental Reporting and Management Systems
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesClimate Studies & Meteorology Environmental Management Environmental Sciences View 305 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
A second class honours degree (2:2) or equivalent.
- Applications are reviewed on their individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
- On your application form, please list all your relevant qualifications and experience, including those you expect to achieve.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16020 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16020 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9360 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9360 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.