You will join an existing research group under the guidance of a supervisor, and spend the majority of time on an individually tailored research project in any of the Department’s current research areas that include some reference to chemical and biological sciences. You will also partake in group activities, including research colloquia and presentations, and attend advanced lectures on the theoretical and technical background to your chosen research area.
By the end of the MRes in Chemical Research at Birkbeck, University of London , you will have acquired a firm grasp of recent advances in your field of study and be able to formulate a research or method development plan and carry out the appropriate literature and data searches. You will also be able to apply a critical and professional approach to data quality, carry out chemical manipulations and operate advanced equipment, and work safely and efficiently in a laboratory, carrying out risk assessments where appropriate.
This is a laboratory-based subject, which means individual contact between staff and students is frequent. Numerous opportunities exist and are created for you to comment on, and take responsibility for, the direction of your studies.
- Opportunity to be involved in topical, leading-edge research with teachers who have achieved international recognition.
- Offers the possibility of collaborating with industry.
- High-quality instrumental and computing facilities. We also provide a seminar programme and skills training across disciplines.
- In the Research Excellence Framework (REF), in a joint submission with UCL, Biological Sciences at Birkbeck were ranked 11th in the UK, with a research environment supporting world-leading and internationally excellent research.
Careers and Employability
Graduates can pursue careers in the health sector, toxicology, pharmaceuticals, academia and manufacturing. Possible professions include academic researcher, higher education lecturer, or analytical chemist. This degree can also be useful in becoming a forensic scientist or pharmacologist.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Project and Dissertation MRes Chemical Research
- Viva and Oral Presentation
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesChemistry Educational Research View 189 other Masters in Chemistry in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Minimum second-class honours degree (2:2) in a scientific subject; less qualified students may be accepted, if they have appropriate work experience.
- Applications are reviewed on their individual merits and your professional qualifications and/or relevant work experience will be taken into consideration positively. We actively support and encourage applications from mature learners.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16020 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16020 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9960 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9960 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.