The Master's degree in Analytical Chemistry at Birkbeck, University of London offers the opportunity to complete a research project in our research laboratories, with constant contact between staff and students which creates opportunities for you to comment on, and take responsibility for, the direction of your studies. Alternatively the project may be completed at your place of work if appropriate.
This course will develop your knowledge and understanding of key areas of analytical science and its practical applications, advance your understanding of recent advances in the field and equip you with the skills to formulate a research or method development plan, and carry out the appropriate literature and data searches. You will also learn how to carry out chemical manipulations, operate advanced analytical equipment, and work safely and efficiently in a laboratory.
- Chemistry is taught in the School of Science, which offers state-of-the-art instrumental and computing facilities, and the possibility of collaborating with industry.
- The School also provides a seminar programme and skills training across disciplines.
- In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), in a joint submission with UCL, Biological Sciences at Birkbeck were ranked 11th in the UK, with a research environment supporting world-leading and internationally excellent research.
Careers and Employability
Graduates can pursue careers in the health sector, toxicology, pharmaceuticals, academia and manufacturing. Possible professions include analytical chemist, research scientist (physical sciences), or scientific laboratory technician. This degree can also be useful in becoming a forensic scientist, chemical engineer, or pharmacologist.
Recognised by the Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Analysis of Solids and Surfaces, Electroanalysis and Sensors
- Fundamental Concepts of Analytical Science and Instrumentation plus Research Skills
- NMR Spectroscopy and Mass Spectrometry
- Optical Spectroscopy and Atomic Spectrometry
- Separation Science
- Statistics and Data Quality
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
You are strongly advised to apply now, to ensure there are still places on your chosen course and to give you time to complete the admissions process.
DisciplinesChemistry Natural Sciences View 120 other Masters in Natural Sciences in United Kingdom
- A second-class honours degree in a scientific subject.
- Less qualified students may be accepted if they have appropriate work experience, or through registration on the Postgraduate Diploma with the possibility of upgrading to the MSc after achieving appropriate results in the first set of examinations.
International16020 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16020 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9960 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9960 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.