At present our postgraduate diploma allows you to focus on either English or history. The English route explores a rich and varied range of literary texts from ancient times to the present. If you choose to study history, you’ll cover local and regional history at an advanced level.
Key features of the course Humanities course from The Open University UK
- Deepens your insights into human development, history and culture
- Provides enhanced career opportunities, academic achievement and personal fulfilment
- Focus on English literature or local and regional history
- Good preparation for further study at masters and doctoral level.
Studying for a Humanities course from The Open University UK will provide you with an opportunity to build on skills acquired at undergraduate level. It will further develop your capability to read and analyse large amounts of written material and enable you to apply your skills through the production of a project.
These transferable skills are in demand in many areas of the public and private sector, such as advertising, marketing and public relations; educational, charity and development; or government and public administration.
Completing the diploma will give you a worthwhile qualification in its own right, and you can also count the credit towards one of our MAs, providing you take account of the unique study rule.
The learning outcomes of this qualification are described in four areas:
- Knowledge and understanding
- Cognitive skills
- Practical and professional skills
- Key skills
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesGeneral Studies & Classics Liberal Arts View 12 other Masters in General Studies & Classics in United Kingdom
You must hold an honours degree to study for this qualification. Although your degree need not be in humanities, you must have the basic skills expected of a graduate in that area. Both module will bring you up to date with the latest ideas and approaches in humanities but does not offer remedial undergraduate training if your qualifications and/or experience are inadequate.
Before you begin the diploma you must be able to:
- write clear, concise, accurate prose
- read large quantities of text quickly, accurately and critically
- classify evidence precisely and assess its value and reliability
- argue logically, consistently and sceptically
- marshal various sorts of evidence to support a logical argument.
International6815 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6815 GBP per year during 18 months.
National6815 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6815 GBP per year during 18 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.