You'll also develop your independent skills in literary research that will culminate in a dissertation on a topic and texts of your own choosing. This English course from The Open University UK can help you pursue or develop a career in the media, culture and knowledge industries, and other professions that require understanding of literature and culture, and skills in the creative use of textual analysis.
Key features of the MA in English from The Open University UK
- Explores a wide range of literary texts from ancient times to the present
- Equips you with key research methods in literary study
- Provides ideal preparation for doctoral level research and a wide range of careers.
This degree is relevant to careers that directly call on knowledge of English literature and culture. It may also be relevant for careers that demand skills in the creative use and analysis of texts of various sorts, critical thinking and organisation, and understanding of culture in a broad sense. It is also useful (particularly alongside relevant skills and experience) if you aim to work in the media, culture or knowledge industries – or are employed already in these areas and need further qualifications to progress.
A masters degree can be useful for professional development in teaching, and if you want to pursue an academic career it provides good preparation for the higher level research that is prerequisite (such as a PhD).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCompulsory Modules:
- English part 1
- English part 2
The learning outcomes of this qualification are described in four areas:
- Knowledge and understanding
- Cognitive skills
- Practical and professional skills
- Key skills
- 30 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Closing dates vary depending on the modules you choose.
DisciplinesLanguages View 73 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
- You must hold a UK honours degree (or equivalent), preferably in English or a closely related subject, and preferably with at least a 2:1 or higher degree classification. As the MA in English assumes you will have completed an undergraduate degree in the subject, you will need some knowledge of undergraduate English literary studies to successfully complete this qualification.
Before you enter the degree you must be able to:
- write clear, concise, accurate prose
- read large quantities of text quickly and accurately
- classify evidence precisely and assess its value and reliability
- argue logically and coherently
- provide evidence in support of your ideas and arguments.
International9990 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9990 GBP per year during 30 months.
EU/EEA9990 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9990 GBP per year during 30 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.