We welcome proposals for research in any area of contemporary dance and dance as a cultural discourse, but we are especially interested in supervising practice-as-research projects that focus on choreographic practice, screendance practice, somatic movement and embodiment practices.
- The award-winning purpose-built House Theatre provides a state-of-the-art and fully accessible 200-seater auditorium, studio theatre and rehearsal spaces..
- Learn from highly skilled and internationally renowned practitioners and scholars. Work within the Performance, Experience and Presence (PEP) research group which greatly informs the teaching on this programme.
- Make use of the close links we have fostered with leading dance companies and professional artists, and gain extra experience that will open up your career prospects. Plymouth has a vibrant and active dance scene, with Plymouth Dance and Dance in Devon supporting the dance ecology in Plymouth, Devon and Cornwall.
- Benefit from training on the programme which explicitly embeds the skills identified by the Arts & Humanities Research Council, preparing you for MPhil/PhD programmes.
- Join BA (Hons) Dance students to take dance technique classes; the theatre and performance department also hosts a number of master classes, workshops and performance opportunities that are open to you.
- Engage with Plymouth’s vibrant theatre and performance scene with The Arts Institute, Theatre Royal Plymouth and Barbican Theatre Plymouth, alongside events and training workshops arranged by the department itself. In the past, our nationally and internationally acclaimed visitors have included Candoco, StopGap, Rambert, Flying Low, Jordi Cortes,
- Yael Flexer, Rick Nodine, Kirstie Simson, Wendy Houstoun, LailioDaillo, Epic Arts, Russell Maliphant, 2 Faced Dance, Zoielogic and Liz Aggiss.
- Choose to study full time or part time to fit in with your career plans or other commitments.
- Be part of a lively interdisciplinary arts and research community where you’ll mix with staff and students from across the arts faculty, creating opportunities for collaborative performance and practice-based research.
Careers with this subject:
Graduate destinations include research and further postgraduate studies (for example PhD), teaching, lecturing, practice-as-research, professional choreography, independent portfolio artist careers, dance criticism and arts administration.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Skills in the Arts, Humanities and Business
- Researching Dance
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Theatre & Dance View 194 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- You’ll need a good 2:1 or first class honours degree in an appropriate subject (e.g. theatre and performance, dance, choreography, community dance, dance science) or equivalent (for instance, you may have studied something else as an undergraduate but have established an artistic practice since then).
- You will also need to provide evidence that you are ready to pursue the project you propose in your application.
- If English is not your first language, you must have proficiency in written and spoken English (normally a minimum test score of 6.5 for IELTS, or equivalent).
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17170 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17170 GBP per year during 12 months.
National4473 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4473 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Part time Home/EU/Islands fee £3,030
- Part time International fee £8,585
Living costs for Plymouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.