Gain specialist training and transferable research skills with our specialised MSc Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience at Aston University, Birmingham. Benefit from access to leading researchers and state-of-the-art facilities within the Aston Institute of Health and Neurodevelopment and School of Psychology.
In addition, you will have the opportunity to complete research practicals using some of the advanced technologies of cognitive neuroscience, including magnetic resonance imaging, magnetoencephalography, and eye movement recording.
These sessions are supported within a series of trainings in core research skills such as how to formulate a scientific research question, scoping and implementing research designs, and stimulus presentation and programming.
There is also an emphasis on generic professional development and research-related communication skills in our Key Skills for Cognitive Neuroscientists modules. Here you will develop your abilities in areas such as oral and written presentation, personal promotion and employability, intellectual property, scientific writing, systematic review and Meta-analysis, and in research ethics.
Your future career prospects
This Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience course offered at the Aston University has been designed to provide postgraduate-level education and training for graduates who want to specialise in the area of cognitive and affective neuroscience, continue onto PhD level study, or enhance their CV with a research-related Masters qualification.Previous cognitive neuroscience students at Aston have moved on to a variety of careers including:
- PhD studies: destinations of recently successful PhD applicants include Aston, Cardiff, Derby, Liverpool, Sussex and Warwick.
- Research-related roles: e.g. Research Assistant, Data Analyst (for example for the NHS).
- Education: e.g. Science Teacher, Educational Consultant.
- Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience: Theories and applications
- Advanced Research Design and Analysis
- Research Practicals
- Key skills for Cognitive Neuroscientists
- Research Dissertation in Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Neuroscience Cognitive Sciences View 155 other Masters in Neuroscience in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Aston University and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Upper second class honours degree (2:1) from a recognised university in psychology, neuroscience or a related life science such as biology, or a related physical science such as engineering or computer science. More information on international degree requirements can be found on our Aston in your country webpage.
- Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to provide evidence of an English language qualification. English language test requirements may be waived where students’ previous degree was studied in an English speaking country.
International19700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19700 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9550 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9550 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.