Your future career prospects
The certificate is the first stage for pharmacists in becoming a specialist mental health pharmacist. It is also undertaken by mental health nurses to increase their knowledge base especially those practising or aiming to practise as non-medical prescribers. General practitioners and psychiatrists, as well as graduates working in the pharmaceutical industry have also been past students.
The diploma is frequently a requirement for specialist clinical mental health posts in the NHS. “Specialist status” as deemed by Membership of the College of Mental Health Pharmacy is also increasingly expected for higher level clinical posts in the NHS. The Diploma forms part of the pathway for this accreditation.
The Psychiatric Pharmacy Practice course from Aston University is designed to help students develop their career either within practice or academia. Consultant pharmacist posts, in the NHS, are all required to have a research component.
The qualification can also help students looking to undertake a PhD.
All our Psychiatric Pharmacy courses are accredited by the College of Mental Health Pharmacy (CMHP).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- You will undertake supervised, but independently executed, practice research and be encouraged to integrate and apply the skills acquired during the PgCert and PgDip courses to investigate in depth an area of clinical psychiatric pharmacy practice of specific interest to you.
- This module will equip you with the necessary critical, analytical and evaluation skills necessary to understand the research process thoroughly, including ethical and risk assessment issues.
- It provides experience of practice research and project management together with preparation for submission for publication.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
Applications for this MSc course are accepted year round
DisciplinesPsychology Organisational Behaviour Pharmacy View 143 other Masters in Psychology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- We welcome applications from candidates interested in our course who have the skills and capability to excel. All candidates are considered on an individual basis based on their qualifications, experience, references and motivation.
- A Diploma in Psychiatric Pharmacy from Aston University or equivalent is essential, with a research methods module a desirable option.
- Students will normally be employed by the NHS and will be on a career path as a mental health pharmacist specialising in the treatment of people with mental illness.
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) may be considered for applicants who express an interest in direct entry to the Diploma or MSc.
- Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to provide evidence of an English language qualification.
- The information contained on this website details the typical entry requirements for this course for the most commonly offered qualifications.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International3600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3600 GBP per year during 12 months.
National3600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3600 GBP per year during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.