The core TESOL modules cover the practical and theoretical background to TESOL/English Language Teaching (ELT), helping you to foster a principled approach to pedagogic practice. You will study how the English language works and put your learning into practice with real classroom teaching. Through English teaching, you will develop a deeper understanding of the key principles of classroom activities and will be able to evaluate different approaches to teaching and learning.
On the Translation Studies strand of the degree, you will study the translation industry in-depth and gain an thorough understanding of translation theories and strategies so that you are able to take on an informed, critical approach to translation practice. You will also become familiar with the most popular and cutting-edge computer-assisted translation tools in the market, including translation memories, machine translation and localisation tools, and develop expertise in multilingual specialised translation. You will also have the opportunity to work towards SDL Trados certification (the world's leading translation software solution).
The TESOL and Translation Studies programme at Aston University provides the flexibility to choose from a wide range of optional modules, enabling you to develop in-depth skills in different areas of interest to suit your future career goals.
Demand for translators and interpreters has greatly increased as business and other organisations become more globalised and interconnected. Graduates of the TESOL and Translation Studies masters course at Aston have gone on to work as translators, technical editors and translation project managers for translation companies and software developers, both in the UK and abroad.
Graduates of Aston’s TESOL programmes are employed as teachers in a wide range of educational settings, both in the UK and internationally.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theory and Practice of English Language Teaching
- The Translation Industry: Theoretical and Practical Perspectives I
- Translation Technology: CAT Tools and Localisation
- Multilingual Specialised Translation
- Language and Literature in Education
- Language Contact and Multilingualism
- English Teaching Practice
- Teaching Young Learners
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
The sooner you make the application the better especially if you are an international student who requires a VISA to study the course starts in September.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 568 other Masters in Language Studies in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- 2:2 degree in English language, linguistics, translation studies or related discipline (eg. Linguistics, English, Literature).
- The information contained on this website details the typical entry requirements for this course for the most commonly offered qualifications. Applicants with alternative qualifications may wish to enquire with the relevant admissions teams prior to application whether or not their qualifications are deemed acceptable. For less commonly encountered qualifications this will be judged on a case-by-case basis in consultation with the academic admissions tutor.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International21250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21250 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11500 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.