The Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) programme at Aston University is suitable for both experienced teachers and those who are early in their teaching career with little classroom experience. The course provides opportunities for in-depth investigations into language pedagogy and the theory of language use and is designed to help you make informed decisions on different aspects of TESOL.
The core modules cover the practical and theoretical background to TESOL/English Language Teaching (ELT), helping you to foster a principled approach to pedagogic practice.
You will study how the English Language works and put your learning into practice with real classroom teaching. Through English teaching, you will develop a deeper understanding of the key principles of classroom activities and will be able to evaluate different approaches to teaching and learning.
Graduates of the programme are employed in a variety of roles in the field of TESOL including teachers, directors of studies, educational managers, as well as setting up their own schools or working freelance. They work in a wide range of educational settings, both in the UK and internationally.
Aston University was recognised as the 'Best University Careers/Employability Service'.
- Theory and Practice of English Language Teaching
- Language Awareness
- English Teaching Practice
- Research Methods in TESOL
- Analysing Discourse
- Course and Materials Design
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesTeaching Linguistics Teaching English View 351 other Masters in Linguistics in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Aston University and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- 2:2 degree. The information contained on this website details the typical entry requirements for this course for the most commonly offered qualifications. Applicants with alternative qualifications may wish to enquire with the relevant admissions teams prior to application whether or not their qualifications are deemed acceptable. For less commonly encountered qualifications this will be judged on a case-by-case basis in consultation with the academic admissions tutor.
- Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to provide evidence of an English language qualification.
International21250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21250 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11500 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.