This one year Forensic Linguistics programme at Aston University is designed to help linguistics students take their studies to the next level and enter the exciting discipline of forensic linguistics. Alongside advanced language-description modules, you will learn about legal and forensic contexts, and how linguists critically engage with the language of law and provide linguistic evidence in a variety of legal contexts.
The Forensic Linguistics MA course aims to expand your linguistic analysis skills and understanding so that you can apply them to forensic texts, and in forensic and legal contexts.
You will learn from some of the world’s leading academics in the field of forensic linguistics, based at our research institute - the Aston Institute for Forensic Linguistics.
There is a strong ethos throughout this programme of forensic linguistics as an application of linguistics. You will study and improve your knowledge and abilities in the linguistic analysis of spoken and written language, in contexts such as police interviews and courtroom interactions, and you will learn how linguists apply their methods to aid police investigations and provide evidence in court.
The Careers service offer a tailored programme for MA Forensic Linguistics students exploring opportunities in police and security services and broader employment as well as the opportunity of PhD study.
Graduates of the MA in Forensic Linguistics go on to a whole variety of careers, but the course is particularly suited to those who want to further their careers in intelligence roles with the police, the security services or the city/financial services. The course is also an excellent foundation for studies at PhD level for students interested in a career in research in this important and growing area, as well as those whose existing careers would be advanced by specialised training.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Analysing Discourse
- Forensic Inference and Statistics
- Research Methods
- Linguistics in Legal Contexts
- Language as Evidence
- Practical Applications in Forensic Linguistics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
The sooner you make the application the better especially if you are an international student who requires a VISA to study the course starts in September.
DisciplinesCriminal Law Forensic Science Linguistics View 150 other Masters in Criminal Law in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- 2:1 degree in English Language, Linguistics, or a related subject. Please note that transcripts must indicate some studies of linguistics. Interest in languages / TESOL alone unlikely to be enough: needs to show some interest in FL specifically. (If in any doubt please check.). GCSE Maths at C or above.
- The information contained on this website details the typical entry requirements for this course for the most commonly offered qualifications. Applicants with alternative qualifications may wish to enquire with the relevant admissions teams prior to application whether or not their qualifications are deemed acceptable. For less commonly encountered qualifications this will be judged on a case-by-case basis in consultation with the academic admissions tutor.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International21250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21250 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11500 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.