This one year Forensic Linguistics programme at Aston University is designed to help linguistics students take their studies to the next level and enter the exciting discipline of forensic linguistics. Alongside advanced language-description modules, you will learn about legal and forensic contexts, and how linguists critically engage with the language of law and provide linguistic evidence in a variety of legal contexts.
The Forensic Linguistics MA course aims to expand your linguistic analysis skills and understanding so that you can apply them to forensic texts, and in forensic and legal contexts.
You will learn from some of the world’s leading academics in the field of forensic linguistics, based at our research institute - the Aston Institute for Forensic Linguistics.
There is a strong ethos throughout this programme of forensic linguistics as an application of linguistics. You will study and improve your knowledge and abilities in the linguistic analysis of spoken and written language, in contexts such as police interviews and courtroom interactions, and you will learn how linguists apply their methods to aid police investigations and provide evidence in court.
The Careers service offer a tailored programme for MA Forensic Linguistics students exploring opportunities in police and security services and broader employment as well as the opportunity of PhD study.
Graduates of the MA in Forensic Linguistics go on to a whole variety of careers, but the course is particularly suited to those who want to further their careers in intelligence roles with the police, the security services or the city/financial services. The course is also an excellent foundation for studies at PhD level for students interested in a career in research in this important and growing area, as well as those whose existing careers would be advanced by specialised training.
- Analysing Discourse
- Forensic Inference and Statistics
- Research Methods
- Linguistics in Legal Contexts
- Language as Evidence
- Practical Applications in Forensic Linguistics
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesCriminal Law Forensic Science Linguistics View 157 other Masters in Criminal Law in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Aston University and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- 2:1 degree in English Language, Linguistics, or a related subject. Please note that transcripts must indicate some studies of linguistics. Interest in languages / TESOL alone unlikely to be enough: needs to show some interest in FL specifically. (If in any doubt please check.). GCSE Maths at C or above.
- The information contained on this website details the typical entry requirements for this course for the most commonly offered qualifications. Applicants with alternative qualifications may wish to enquire with the relevant admissions teams prior to application whether or not their qualifications are deemed acceptable. For less commonly encountered qualifications this will be judged on a case-by-case basis in consultation with the academic admissions tutor.
International21250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21250 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11500 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.