The Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) MA at King's College London will enable you to acquire a range of practical skills for teaching English as a second/ foreign language, and will prepare you to engage independently and critically with current language teaching and research issues. It will give you the research skills you need to investigate language learning, and tools help you to reflect on your practice and develop your individual pedagogic.
- Develop theoretical knowledge and practical skills for teaching English in different contexts.
- Four weeks of supervised teaching practice.
- Gain a professional certificate in TEFL at the same time as your MA in TESOL.
- Observe lessons and learn from experienced teachers at International House London.
- Excellent tutorial support and extensive course-specific training in research methods and academic writing.
- Staff have extensive experience of teaching and training teachers in a wide variety of contexts.
The skills and knowledge that you develop over the course of our MA will prepare you for a career in English language teaching, a research- oriented career, or a mixture of the two.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Language Teaching Methodology
- Analysing English for Learning & Teaching
- Second/Additional Language Learning: Research, Theory & Practice
- Research Methods and Dissertation in Applied Linguistics/Language Learning and Teaching
- English for Academic Purposes
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Language Studies View 974 other Masters in Education in United Kingdom
- A 2:1 undergraduate degree is usually required in a relevant subject (for example: a foreign language; English; Linguistics/Applied Linguistics/Language and Communication; Psychology; a social science subject). Alternative qualifications may be considered.
- No previous experience of language teaching is required (although any experience including informal tutoring or volunteer teaching and/or observation of teaching) will be taken into consideration.
- A personal statement of up to 4,000 characters (maximum 2 pages) is required.
- A copy (or copies) of your official academic transcript(s), showing the subjects studied and marks obtained.
- One academic reference is required. A professional reference will be accepted if you have completed your qualifications over five years ago. In some cases, we may request an additional reference from you.
- Applicants may wish to include a CV (Resume) or evidence of professional registration as part of their application.
International21840 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21840 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11040 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11040 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.