Students in the Social Work program at California State University Long Beach learn to practice as professional social workers with persons and groups representing the range of human diversity and with all size systems (individuals, families, groups, communities and institutions). In addition, students are prepared for advanced, specialized practice in one of the following specializations: Child and Family Wellbeing, Adulthood and Aging, or Integrated Health.
Our MSW Program emphasizes ecological and systems perspectives which focus on the fit and interactions of a person or system in relation to the various environments likely to be encountered. Within these perspectives, knowledge, values, and skills are used in a change-oriented process within a multicultural context to help individuals and social systems achieve an improved quality of life and social participation, including advocacy for just institutions and equitable access to opportunities and resources.
Graduates of our program are prepared to work with diverse populations, advocate in a variety of settings, ensure equitable access for disenfranchised populations and promote social justice.
We address community challenges related to child welfare, health and behavioral health integrated care, substance use, poverty, homelessness, domestic violence, the growing aging population, and social change.
We educate students for micro and macro practice and leadership in government agencies, non-profit organizations, schools, and non-traditional settings.
- Social Work Practice within Child Welfare Services
- Legal Issues in Social Work Practice
- Assessment and Treatment of Alcohol and Substance Use Disorders
- School Social Work
- Social Work Practice with Families and Couples
- Social Work Practice with Death, Dying and Loss
- Social Work Practice in Mental Health Services
- Play Therapy with Children, Adolescents and Their Families
- Psychopathology: Assessment and Treatment in Social Work Practice
- Brief Treatment
- Non-Violent Conflict Resolution
- Spirituality in Social Work Practice
- Homelessness Prevention and Interventions in Social Work Practice
- 24 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work Sociology View 542 other Masters in Social Work in United States
- Satisfactory academic achievement as evidenced by a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or above on a 4.0 scale.
- Quality of work, internship, and volunteer experience as evaluated by faculty. This evaluation will be based on the applicant’s resume, Personal and Professional Statement, references, and the length and relevance of Social Work and Social Work-related experience.
- Completion of a prerequisite course in elementary statistics with a grade of "C" or better.
- Submission of a complete School of Social Work MSW application packet which includes the following: three reference forms, resume inclusive of work, internship, and volunteer experience, personal and professional statement
International7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3588 USD per semester during 24 months.
National7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3588 USD per semester during 24 months.
- If you are not a resident of California you must add $396 to the above totals for each unit of credit you take.
Living costs for Long Beach
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.