Learning outcomes for students receiving the Linguistics - General Linguistics MA degree at California State University Long Beach include:
- analytic knowledge of a variety of grammatical structures, and the ability to relate language structures to theoretical perspectives on grammar.
- understanding of the social, cultural and political dimensions of language use in everyday and institutional contexts.
- abilities in developing a range of ESL/EFL classroom learning activities that maximize student learning.
- substantial knowledge of language variation, including historical change and dialect variety
- understanding of how people acquire first and second languages and the implications of the nature of language acquisition for language instruction and education policy.
- understanding of research methodologies in linguistics by designing and carrying out original independent research on a linguistic topic.
- English as a Second Language (ESL) Teacher
- Computational Linguist
- Bilingual Education Teacher
- Intelligence Specialist
- Foreign Service Officer
- Peace Corps Worker
- Immigration Officer
- Linguistic Field Methods
- Discourse Analysis
- Historical Linguistics
- Seminar in Syntactic Theory and Analysis
- Seminar in Phonetics and Phonology
- Discourse and Grammar
- Corpus Linguistics
- Seminar in Bilingualism
- Literacy and Linguistics
- Ethnography and Communication
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Linguistics View 635 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at California State University Long Beach and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Completion of a four-year college course of study leading to an acceptable baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution.
- An English language demonstration for applicants who do not have a bachelor’s or master’s degree from a U.S. accredited institution.
- A GPA of at least 3.0 in the last 60 semester units or 90 quarter units attempted, excluding lower division and extension coursework taken after the degree. Exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Your personal statement should address: (a) your interest in and knowledge of linguistics as a field of study; (b) your educational background; (c) your experience with diverse languages and cultures; (d) your professional, research, and/or teaching experience; and (e) your professional goals.
- Your writing sample should be an academic paper written by you in English. It does not have to be on linguistics.
International7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3588 USD per semester during 12 months.
National7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3588 USD per semester during 12 months.
- If you are not a resident of California you must add $396 to the above totals for each unit of credit you take.
Living costs for Long Beach
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.