The department offers courses in three major cultural areas: African Studies, Arab Studies, and South Asian Studies, as well as in Armenian, Hebrew, Persian, and Islamic Studies. A student in the Middle Eastern, South Asian, and African Studies program from Columbia University may specialize in a variety of subfields decided in conjunction with his or her advisor and the academic affairs committee of the department.
- Our faculty of distinguished scholars and outstanding teachers represent some of the most innovative and influential figures in their fields.
- Our approach to learning stresses a knowledge of languages and intellectual traditions, but the subjects we explore cover a range of fields from literature and the history of ideas to contemporary history and politics.
- Asian Humanities
- Asian Civilizations-Middle East
- Comparative Literature-Middle East
- History-Middle East
- Anthropology of Middle East
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages View 805 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
- transcripts of all previous post-secondary education
- a statement of academic purpose
- a curriculum vitae or résumé
- three letters of recommendation from academic sources
- GRE scores and, if applicable, results of the TOEFL or IELTS examination to fulfill the English Proficiency Requirement
- a sample of scholarly writing, if required by the department or program
- payment of the application fee
International64726 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32363 USD per semester during 12 months.
National64726 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32363 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Manhattan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.