Departments in which students take courses include History; Middle Eastern, South Asian, and African Studies; and Religion. Students may also take courses at the Jewish Theological Seminary. The Jewish Studies program at Columbia University concludes with a thesis on a limited topic within the student's area of concentration.
- Students in the program are encouraged to make use of the resources of Columbia's Institute for Israel and Jewish Studies.
- The institute brings together faculty and students in several disciplines and departments whose academic interests primarily concern the study of Jewish civilization or the state of Israel in its historical and contemporary dimensions.
- It also encourages research and publication in all branches of Jewish history culture and institutions in Hebrew, Yiddish, and other Jewish languages and literatures, and in the history of Jewish philosophy and religion.
- Over decades of teaching and research, Columbia University's stellar faculty has created one of the most distinguished and longest-standing traditions in the academic study of Jewish literature, religion, history, and thought.
- Participating students will have the opportunity to learn from these professors in a variety of pedagogical and curricular formats and to take advantage of the countless cultural opportunities, museums, collections, and libraries in New York City that provide the chance for further study and hands on experience.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages View 779 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
- transcripts of all previous post-secondary education
- a statement of academic purpose
- a curriculum vitae or résumé
- three letters of recommendation from academic sources
- GRE scores and, if applicable, results of the TOEFL or IELTS examination to fulfill the English Proficiency Requirement
- a sample of scholarly writing, if required by the department or program
- payment of the application fee
International64726 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32363 USD per semester during 12 months.
National64726 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32363 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Manhattan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.