The Counseling: Marriage and Family Therapy program's philosophy at California State University Long Beach is to introduce students to a variety of approaches to counseling, and to encourage the development of competencies within these approaches.
The program combines theory and practice utilizing on and off campus course work and field work assignments. Required courses are offer predominantly in the evening, but most field assignments require daytime participation during normal business hours defined by the off-campus sites.
Students coming from diverse experiential backgrounds are trained at the graduate level to be able to perform entry level duties expected by the counseling profession and its specialty areas. Students are prepared to assume future leadership positions in their area(s) of expertise after additional work experiences have been acquired in the field following graduation.
- Family Systems Applied to Aging and Lifespan Development
- Family Systems Methods
- Law and Ethics for Counselors
- Counseling the Alcohol/ Chemically Dependent Person
- Child and Spousal/Partner Abuse
- Introduction to Clinical Interviewing
- Medication and Counseling
- Counseling Theories
- Counseling Methods and Techniques
- Human Sexuality Counseling
- Cross-Cultural Counseling
- Counseling Children and Adolescents
- Counseling Couples
- Trauma and Grief Counseling
- Seminar in Marriage a& Family Therapy
- Group Counseling
- Counseling Field Work: Marriage and Family Therapy
- Advanced Counseling Field Work: Marriage and Family Therapy
- Community Mental Health Counseling
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Sociology Counselling View 907 other Masters in Psychology in United States
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university in a behavioral science, education, or related field.
- Minimum 2.85 overall grade point average in last degree (not credential or certificate) earned from an accredited institution of higher education. Applicants whose overall GPA is less than 2.85 but meet the University minimum GPA requirement and who present compelling evidence of academic and professional potential either through recent academic performance and/or experiential background, may be considered for admission at the discretion of the program admission committee.
International3588 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3588 USD per year and a duration of .
National3588 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3588 USD per year and a duration of .
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.