The program's philosophy is to introduce students to a variety of approaches to counseling, and to encourage the development of competencies within these approaches.
The Counseling program at California State University Long Beach combines theory and practice utilizing on and off campus course work and field work assignments. Required courses are offered predominantly in the evening, but most field assignments require daytime participation during normal business hours defined by the off-campus sites.
Students coming from diverse experiential backgrounds are trained at the graduate level to be able to perform entry level duties expected by the counseling profession and its specialty areas. Students are prepared to assume future leadership positions in their area(s) of expertise after additional work experiences have been acquired in the field following graduation.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Career and Personal Explorations
- Life and Career Decisions
- Counseling in School Settings
- Family Systems Applied to Aging and Lifespan Development
- Family Systems Methods
- Laws and Ethics for Counselors
- Counseling the Alcohol/Chemically Dependent Person
- Child and Spousal/Partner Abuse
- Introduction to Clinical Interviewing
- Medication and Counseling
- Counseling Theories
- Counseling Methods and Techniques
- Human Sexuality Counseling
- Cross-Cultural Counseling
- Counseling Children and Adolescents
- Counseling Couples
- Trauma and Grief Counseling
- Current Issues in Professional School Counseling
- School Counseling Practicum
- Seminar in Marriage and Family Therapy
- MFT Practicum
- Group Counseling
- Counseling Field Work
- Advanced Counseling Field Work
- Family Trauma Treatment Seminar
- Spirituality and Counseling
- Gestalt Psychotherapy
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy
- Advanced Clinical Case Formulation Seminar
- Community Mental Health Counseling
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesSociology Counselling View 916 other Masters in Counselling in United States
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university in a behavioral science, education, or related field.
- Minimum 2.85 overall grade point average in last degree (not credential or certificate) earned from an accredited institution of higher education. Applicants whose overall GPA is less than 2.85 but meet the University minimum GPA requirement and who present compelling evidence of academic and professional potential either through recent academic performance and/or experiential background, may be considered for admission at the discretion of the program admission committee.
International3588 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3588 USD per year and a duration of .
National3588 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 3588 USD per year and a duration of .
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.