Upon completion of the Special Education, M.S.Ed. program at State University of New York Potsdam, candidates will meet the academic requirements for certification in their current certification area, and be recommended for their Initial/Professional certification in one of the following special education teaching levels: Early Childhood (Birth-Grade 2), Childhood (Grade 1-6), or Adolescent (Grade 7-12, Generalist).
Please note that students may also receive certification at both the Early Childhood and Childhood levels.
What You Will Learn:
- A deep understanding of learning disabilities and differences, as well as the methods and strategies to empower student success.
- The ability to assess and diagnose students with mild to moderate disabilities, and design interventions and curriculum to meet their needs.
- Expertise in creating an inclusionary classroom environment, and implementing differentiated instruction to help students with special learning needs and styles perform at the highest level possible.
- Creative approaches for integrating technology into your classroom to enhance learning.
- Collaboration and communication skills central for working as part of a school team addressing the unique needs of B-12 learners.
- Knowledge of behavior management strategies to help your classroom run smoothly.
- Foundational knowledge about current issues, policy, and educational research in the field of special education.
- Characteristics of Learners with Mild/Moderate Disabilities
- Educational Research: Critical Issues in Special Education
- Field Experience
- Technology in Special Education
- Diagnosis and Assessment of Educational Disabilities
- Teaching Reading for Students with Special Needs
- Behavior Management for the Special Educator
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Special Education Teaching View 2001 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- All graduate applicants must show evidence of an earned baccalaureate degree from a duly accredited college or university, typically through submission of an official transcript obtained through the registrar’s office of each prior institution attended.
- Unofficial transcripts may be submitted for the purpose of obtaining an admissions decision. However, proof of completion of bachelor's degree requirements, and conferral of that degree must be submitted no later than the end of the fourth week of classes.
- A minimum undergraduate grade point average as indicated within each specific program of study. All programs utilize the most recent 60 credits for GPA purposes (unless otherwise indicated) / 3.0 GPA
International23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per semester during 24 months.
National23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State11310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5655 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Potsdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.