The curriculum focuses on the basic principles of biotechnology and specific applications in various fields. The use of biotechnology to fight disease is emphasized.
Who Should Apply?
- Research career in Biotechnology: Anyone interested in becoming a research scientist in biotechnology will benefit from this program. The program at Columbia University covers basic and advanced aspects of biotechnology and allows students to start careers in research and development in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries.
- Moderate biology background: Students with a moderate biology background have the opportunity to extend their course work in biotechnology and biological sciences and continue in these fields.
- Regulatory affairs: Those interested in regulatory affairs and management in the biotechnology industry are able to enhance their previous or future training in these fields with a firm scientific background.
- Thirty (30) points of course work plus a master’s thesis are required for the MA in Biotechnology.
- The coursework includes three core courses, intensive laboratory experience, and elective courses selected from the Department of Biological Sciences and a variety of other departments according to the student’s specific interests.
- The thesis includes a review of a topic in biotechnology. The program can be completed by full-time students in one year including the summer term or at a reduced pace by part-time students.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Biotechnology View 242 other Masters in Biotechnology in United States
- transcripts of all previous post-secondary education
- a statement of academic purpose
- a curriculum vitae or résumé
- three letters of recommendation from academic sources
- GRE scores and, if applicable, results of the TOEFL or IELTS examination to fulfill the English Proficiency Requirement
- a sample of scholarly writing, if required by the department or program
- payment of the application fee
International64726 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32363 USD per semester during 12 months.
National64726 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32363 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Manhattan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.