The Adolescence Education - Social Studies, M.S.T. program at State University of New York Potsdam is nationally recognized by the NCSS and leads to Initial Certification in Adolescence Education: Social Studies (Grade 7-12), with a possible extension for Middle Childhood Education: Social Studies (Grade 5-6).
What You Will Learn
- Research-based, innovative and inclusive teaching techniques to make social studies exciting and accessible in the classroom.
- Core content knowledge and strategies to create engaging lesson plans in alignment with the current New York State Social Studies Framework and Tool Kit.
- Effective approaches for teaching students to read, write, and think critically about the social sciences.
- Multiple opportunities to grow, take risks, and develop your own teaching philosophy.
- The perspectives and skills necessary to meaningfully connect the social sciences to the lives of your students, ensuring that learners from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds have equitable access to high quality social studies education.
- Communication skills to enhance your ability to teach in a collaborative environment.
National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) standards.
- Reading in the Middle/Secondary School
- Writing in the Middle/Secondary School
- Special Social Studies Education Content Topic
- Philosophical Foundations of Education
- Advanced Secondary Social Studies Education
- Social Studies Culminating Experience
- Social St Curriculum in Middle and Secondary School
- Research in Social Studies Education
- Social Studies Content Portfolio
- 15 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Social Work View 4367 other Masters in Education in United States
- All graduate applicants must show evidence of an earned baccalaureate degree from a duly accredited college or university, typically through submission of an official transcript obtained through the registrar’s office of each prior institution attended.
- Unofficial transcripts may be submitted for the purpose of obtaining an admissions decision. However, proof of completion of bachelor's degree requirements, and conferral of that degree must be submitted no later than the end of the fourth week of classes.
- A minimum undergraduate grade point average as indicated within each specific program of study. All programs utilize the most recent 60 credits for GPA purposes (unless otherwise indicated) / 3.0 GPA
International23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per semester during 15 months.
National23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per semester during 15 months.
In-State11310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5655 USD per semester during 15 months.
Living costs for Potsdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.