The African - American Studies program at Columbia University provides students with a thorough grounding in the literature and research of African-American studies, and enables them to produce critical analysis and research about the complex and historically specific experiences of Africans in the Americas.
- Students also learn how those experiences have contributed to and been shaped by political, cultural, and economic forces both nationally and globally.
- To fulfill the MA degree requirements, students must take two residence Units (32 points of graduate credit) and complete an MA thesis. It is possible to complete the degree in two semesters.
- The MA in African American Studies at Columbia is a 30-credit interdisciplinary program that will support your scholarly interests and research in the African-American experience and in the cultures and histories of the wider African Diaspora.
- Our program is organized to provide you with the opportunity and flexibility to design a program of study and a thesis project that addresses your intellectual interests and career ambitions.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Ethnic Studies View 159 other Masters in Ethnic Studies in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Columbia University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- transcripts of all previous post-secondary education
- a statement of academic purpose
- a curriculum vitae or résumé
- three letters of recommendation from academic sources
- GRE scores and, if applicable, results of the TOEFL or IELTS examination to fulfill the English Proficiency Requirement
- a sample of scholarly writing, if required by the department or program
- payment of the application fee
International64726 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32363 USD per semester during 12 months.
National64726 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32363 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Manhattan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.