The Dance program at California State University Long Beach provides M.F.A. candidates with theoretical and practice-based study, teaching opportunities, production skills, and a thesis project focusing on the creation of original choreography. CSULB Dance has chosen to keep the M.F.A. degree small and selective in order to provide students with ready resources and mentorship.
We seek candidates whose experiences include professional-level investigation and choreography in dance beyond the baccalaureate level. Practitioners of any movement/dance genre are encouraged to apply to the M.F.A. in Dance degree program.
Our M.F.A. in Dance is centered on the following student learning outcomes:
- Craft dances that communicate a declared intention; skills include actualizing concepts, directing and collaborating with performers and contributors, processing feedback, implementing revisions, and ethically/critically considering the role of the work in the contemporary climate.
- Produce their own dance works; students will demonstrate a working knowledge of lighting design, costume design, stage management, technical direction, house management, and/or public relations. Additionally, students will be able to work in collaboration with theater technicians and design professionals.
- Articulate effectively in oral and written form their artistic and pedagogical goals/vision/philosophy, positioning them to work in higher education and/or the professional creative field.
- Identify and characterize trends in the contemporary dance canon, and articulate and advocate for the role of their work within the field.
- Organize and communicate both practical and theoretical dance concepts in diverse pedagogical contexts, using knowledge gained via teaching practicum, internships, and the study of dance science.
- Dance Pedagogy
- Teaching Practicum
- Dance Science as Related to Teaching Technique
- Practical Research Methods in Dance
- Seminar in Dance Management
- Criticism and Analysis of Dance
- Seminar in Dance
- Teaching Internship
- MFA Technique Laboratory
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Visual Arts Theatre & Dance View 781 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
Candidates admitted into this program will be selected on the following criteria:
- Meet University admissions requirements;
- B.A., B.F.A., or M.A. degree in dance or equivalent with a 3.0 GPA in upper division dance courses;
- Professional goals consistent with the plan of study;
- Life experiences in the field;
- Audition in performance and choreography.
All MFA candidates are admitted on a conditional status. Removal of the conditional admit will occur after the following:
- Fulfillment of the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR);
- Completion of all prerequisites;
- Completion of 20 graduate dance units with a GPA of 3.0;
- Approval of Graduate Advisor.
International7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3588 USD per semester during 24 months.
National7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3588 USD per semester during 24 months.
- If you are not a resident of California you must add $396 to the above totals for each unit of credit you take.
Living costs for Long Beach
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.