The Digital Curation certificate program from Johns Hopkins University offers a specialized curriculum that prepares current and aspiring cultural heritage professionals to work with digital collections, exhibitions, and research data to ensure the effective stewardship of our global cultural heritage in all types of museums, from art museums to zoos, and related cultural heritage organizations. Students in this program will also contribute to the critically needed professional literature in the field.
The program prepares students to:
- Identify and describe the principles of digital preservation and digital curation
- Create and assess digital preservation plans and strategies
- Demonstrate understanding of archival principles of appraisal and the management of digital objects in trustworthy repositories
- Demonstrate awareness of legal issues that impact museums’ abilities to preserve digital collections and make them accessible
- Identify and describe workflows for the creation and management of digital collections in museum environments
- Demonstrate understanding of research methods and critical thinking skills through the supervised research paper
- Participate in the development and promotion of best practices and standards for digital curation of cultural heritage materials
- Become leaders in the museum and digital curation communities
- Digital Preservation
- Foundations of Digital Curation
- Managing Digital Information in Museums
- Internship – consisting of at least 120 hours of supervised field experience, plus an analytical term paper or project (repeatable once as an elective). The internship is taken after completing at least two of the following core courses: Digital Preservation, Foundations of Digital Curation, or Managing Digital Information in Museums.
- 9 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Museum Studies View 6 other Masters in Museum Studies in United States
- Complete the Online Application.
- Upload the following required materials to the Online Application: a 750-word statement of purpose, a current resume
- Submit the application and pay the $75 fee when you have uploaded all necessary materials (listed above).
- Upload unofficial copies of transcripts to the application.
- Mail in official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate coursework completed within the US only.
- If you have international coursework, send in the course-by-course credential evaluation. Study abroad may be exempt. .
- If English is your second language, you may be required to take the TOEFL or IELTS examination. Visit the International Applicants page to learn more.
Individuals with a bachelor’s degree and at least 5 years experience working in a museum, library, or archive, or related cultural heritage organization
International4292 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4292 USD for the full programme and a duration of 9 months.
National4292 USD/fullTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4292 USD for the full programme and a duration of 9 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!