The Medical and Molecular Biosciences programme from Newcastle University is designed for graduates with a BSc in the life sciences or other science disciplines, and for intercalating and fully qualified MBBS or BDS students. It can be taken either as a stand-alone qualification or as an entry route onto a PhD or MD.
What you'll learn
The taught component of the course includes subject-specific content in the area of medical and molecular biosciences. You have the flexibility to develop your own bespoke course by selecting additional, complementary modules. You will also participate in training in general research principles, and other professional and key skills.
Your research project comprises the major element of the course. This project will involve 24 weeks of research in an area of medical and molecular biosciences under the supervision of an expert academic researcher in the field.
The course allows you to experience an internationally competitive research area, predominantly in academia but also potentially in industry.
Quality and Ranking
We rank in the top 100 for Medicine - QS World University Rankings by Subject 2019
- Research Skills and Principles for the Biosciences
- Ageing and Health
- The Biological Study of Behaviour
- Applied Immunobiology of Human Disease
- Bioinformatics Theory and Practice
- Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We suggest international students apply at least two months before the course starts. This is so that you have enough time to make the necessary arrangements.
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Molecular Sciences Health Sciences View 1755 other Masters in Health Sciences in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Newcastle University and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A minimum of a 2:1 honours degree, or international equivalent, in: a life science or related discipline or an MBBS/BDS degree
- This programme accepts both medical and dental students wishing to take a master's degree as an intercalation. You will need to have successfully completed your third or fourth year of study.
- Practical laboratory work experience is desirable, although not essential. The modules you can study may depend on your academic background.
International27600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27600 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10650 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10650 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Newcastle upon Tyne
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.