The emphasis of the research is on studies of processes and developing physical understanding of the atmosphere.
The research commonly involves field or laboratory measurement and observation; data analysis and interpretation; and numerical model construction, modification and validation.
The Atmospheric Science Programme, jointly sponsored by the Department of Earth and Ocean Sciences and the Department of Geography(link is external)at the University of British Columbia, conducts teaching and research in atmospheric science.
It is an interdisciplinary programme, with faculty members coming from not only these two departments, but also from Agricultural Sciences, Chemistry, and Applied Science.
Programme StructureAreas of graduate research are:
- boundary layers and micrometeorology, including turbulence, urban meteorology, and mountain meteorology
- numerical weather prediction for transportation, weather disasters, and clean energy (hydro, wind, solar)
- air pollution, pollutant transport and dispersion, and atmospheric chemistry
- climate, including climatology, climate variability and prediction, earth system modelling, climate change, glaciers
- satellite remote sensing, cloud microphysics, aerosols
- ocean-atmosphere interactions, ocean dynamics
- biometeorology, including agricultural and forest meteorology, trace gas exchange, carbon cycling, vegetation water use
- geophysical fluid dynamics
- machine-learning tools including artificial neural networks, gene-expression programming
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Climate Studies & Meteorology Environmental Sciences View 60 other Masters in Earth Sciences in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of British Columbia and/or in Canada, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- All applicants have to submit transcripts from all past post-secondary study.
- A minimum of three references are required for application to graduate programs at UBC. References should be requested from individuals who are prepared to provide a report on your academic ability and qualifications.
- Many programs require a statement of interest, sometimes called a "statement of intent", "description of research interests" or something similar.
- Permanent Residents of Canada must provide a clear photocopy of both sides of the Permanent Resident card.
International8952 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8952 CAD per year during 24 months.
National5095 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5095 CAD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Vancouver
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.