Studies at microwave and radio frequencies include research on variable radio sources, searches for pulsars, the early stages of star formation, relativistic jets, and balloon-borne measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation.
A variety of theoretical work complements this Astronomy research, with topics that range from planetary dynamics and the structure of neutron stars, to theoretical studies of structure formation in the early universe. Development of astronomical instrumentation is also supported.
What makes the program unique?
The Department of Physics & Astronomy at University of British Columbia is noted for the excellence of its research and its high academic standards and integrity. We are constantly rated as one of the top Physics & Astronomy programs in the world.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Astronomical Dynamics
- High-energy Astrophysics
- Planetary Astronomy
- Astronomical Statistics
- Observational Techniques
- Directed Studies
- Thesis: MSc Astronomy
- Dissertation: PhD Astronomy
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
Application open dates and deadlines for an upcoming intake have not yet been configured in the admissions system.
DisciplinesPhysics Astronomy & Space Sciences View 11 other Masters in Astronomy & Space Sciences in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All applicants have to submit transcripts from all past post-secondary study.
- A minimum of three references are required for application to graduate programs at UBC. References should be requested from individuals who are prepared to provide a report on your academic ability and qualifications.
- Many programs require a statement of interest, sometimes called a "statement of intent", "description of research interests" or something similar.
- Permanent Residents of Canada must provide a clear photocopy of both sides of the Permanent Resident card.
International8952 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8952 CAD per year during 24 months.
National5095 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5095 CAD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Vancouver
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.