The aim of the master programme is to, through knowledge, experience and research build capacities that will reduce disaster risks and contribute to better and more targeted public health based relief following disasters. The Master has the following four objectives:I. To increase the knowledge and understanding of the disaster phenomenon, its different contextual aspects, impacts and public health consequences.II. To increase the knowledge and understanding of the International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (UN-ISDR) and to increase skills and abilities for implementing the Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Strategy.III. To ensure skills and abilities to analyse potential effects of disasters and of the strategies and methods to deliver public health response to avert these effects.IV. To ensure skills and ability to design, implement and evaluate research on disasters.
The objectives of the Erasmus Mundus Master's Degree in Public Health in Disasters have been designed to achieve general and specific learning outcomes. General learning outcomes are listed below. Specific learning outcomes for each EMMPHID module are shown in the section on academic structure.
The Erasmus Mundus Master's Degree in Public Health in Disasters at The University of Oviedo generic learning outcomes of EMMPHID encompass a series of capacities that will allow the student to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the role of Public Health in disaster situations, including both a broad command of the field and a deeper knowledge of specific areas, together with insight into current research and development work and to demonstrate deeper methodological knowledge related to their chosen study track:
- Capacity to integrate knowledge and to analyse, evaluate and manage the different public health aspects of disaster events at a local and global levels, even when limited information is available.
- Capacity to describe, analyse and evaluate the environmental, social, cultural, economic, legal and organisational aspects influencing vulnerabilities and capacities to face disasters.
- Capacity to work theoretically and practically in the processes of disaster management (disaster risk reduction, response, and recovery) and relate their interconnections, particularly in the field of the Public Health aspects of the disasters.
- Capacity to manage the Public Health aspects of the disasters.
- Capacity to obtain, analyse, and communicate information on risks, relief needs and lessons learned from earlier disasters in order to formulate strategies for mitigation in future scenarios with the ability to clearly present and discuss their conclusions and the knowledge and arguments behind them.
- Capacity to design and perform research on the different aspects of the emergencies and disaster events while demonstrating insight into the potential and limitations of science, its role in society and people’s responsibility for how it is used.
- Capacity to analyse and evaluate research work on the field of emergencies and disaster while demonstrating insight into the potential and limitations of science, its role in society and people’s responsibility for how it is used.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses included:
- Evaluation, Management and Disaster Risk Reduction
- Types of Disasters
- General Disaster Response
- Public Health Response in Disasters
- Advanced Disaster Epidemiology and Research Methods
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPublic Health View 6 other Masters in Public Health in Spain
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- This Master is aimed at a wide range of professionals who carry out or want to carry out their professional activity in the field of public health in emergency and disaster situations, both from the operational and investigative fields.
- In order to be admitted to this Master, students must have a recognized university degree in an area related to health, management and administration, or social sciences (minimum 3 years of study at a university and 180 ECTS credits, or its equivalent according to the regulations of the country of origin and European regulations).
International4500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4500 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA2250 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2250 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Oviedo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.