The goal of the Advanced Studies in Theology and Religion programme from KU Leuven is to facilitate independent academic research in the domains of theology and religious studies. The chosen major is reinforced with a highly specific research curriculum and a research master’s thesis, preparing students for continued research at doctoral level. Students receive intensive research skills training and are encouraged to combine the in-depth research of their thesis subject with an all-round theological formation. Upon successful completion of their studies, they have received a broad formation, rather than a training specialising exclusively in one area.
The programme comprises the following:
- Six courses of the truncus communis and five electives
- A research master’s thesis: students write a thesis in two years’ time, presenting the results of their original research. The thesis must provide a structured and coherent survey of the issue while including an evaluation of research already undertaken and demonstrating evidence of an awareness of problems related to the topic.
- Chosen major : six major courses
The research master’s programme prepares you for admission to the Doctoral Programme in Theology, but also for a variety of careers in sectors including teaching in secondary and higher education, business, publishing, academia, the media, the socio-cultural sector, and various domains of pastoral care. You will also develop skills that are valued by a large number of employers. These include research, analytical and presentation skills, critical thinking, organizational and time management skills, teamwork, and communication and writing skills. Many graduates use these skills while pursuing an international career as experts in the Church and society.
- Contextual Hermeneutical Approaches to the Bible
- Christianity & Contemporary Culture
- Developments in Theological Ethics
- Spirituality and Mysticism in the History of Western Christianity
- Catechesis and Pastoral Care in Various Stages of Life
- The Study of Lived Religion
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology View 3 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in Belgium
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Students who have successfully completed a bachelor’s degree in the field of theology or religious studies at the Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies or have completed an equivalent programme of seminary formation may be granted admission to the Research Master without further requirements.
- Applicants who have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in another discipline in the humanities can prepare themselves for the Research Master in the highly flexible abridged bachelor’s programme.
International1250 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1250 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA980 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 980 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Leuven
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.