The Research Master in Philosophy programme at KU Leuven focuses firmly on the development of high-level independent research. The programme allows you to concentrate on a particular field of study, supplemented by courses, seminars, and the oral defense of a research-based thesis. Your study programme is tailored to this goal. It allows you to concentrate on a particular field of study, supplemented by courses, seminars, and the oral defense of a research-based thesis.
Most of our graduates aspire to an academic career and go on to obtain PhDs in Philosophy, either at the Institute of Philosophy or at universities abroad, even at such prestigious universities as Oxford, Yale, Princeton and New York University (NYU). After completing their PhD they eventually work as professors or researchers, and our placement records are very good.
Other graduates go on to careers in many different sectors, including: business, civil service, politics, education, publishing, media, the socio-cultural sector, journalism, academia and elsewhere. Many employers seek candidates who are not only well grounded in a specific field, but also able to handle the diverse challenges arising in a fast-paced workplace. Graduates in philosophy are well positioned to think clearly and respond effectively in the workplace.
More informationVisit official programme website
The programme consists of the following:
1. Common Seminar
2. Research Seminars and Core Courses
- Research Seminars
- Core Courses
3. Independent Research in major area
- Research Paper
- Master’s Thesis
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics View 7 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in Belgium
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Students with a Bachelor in de wijsbegeerte from another Flemish university may be admitted by the Board of Admissions upon consideration of their complete application file. Decisions on admission are based on the candidate's letter of motivation and academic excellence.
- Students with a Bachelor (of Arts) in Philosophy from a recognised foreign university may be admitted by the Board of Admissions upon consideration of their complete application file. Decisions on admission are based on the candidate's letter of motivation and academic excellence. Non-native speakers of English are required to provide evidence of English proficiency.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.