The overall aims of the Educational Leadership and School Improvement programme offered by the University of Cambridge are to enable participants to develop:
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of educational leadership and school improvement
- A set of skills for analyzing educational leadership and school improvement issues and practices
- The ability to bring together theoretical perspectives on educational leadership and school improvement and apply an informed critique of their inter-relationship
- The ability to contribute to informed development of policy and practice in educational contexts
- Familiarity with a range of frameworks for understanding pupil, professional and organizational learning
- Leadership for Learning
- Policy, Structures, and Change
- School Effectiveness and School Improvement
- Issues and Dilemmas
- Perspectives on Leadership
- Perspectives on Learning
- Schools, Cultures, and Communities
- Educational Evaluation
This route focuses on leadership and learning in the context of school improvement and with reference to practice, policy, and theory. The concept of leadership is treated as problematic and examined as it applies to pupils, teachers and support staff as well as those with formal leadership responsibilities. It recognizes the increase in collaborative arrangements between schools and the implications they have for leadership.
The route is underpinned by the values and principles of "Leadership for Learning: the Cambridge Network" that include a democratic concept of leadership rather than a hierarchical one, and a view of learning as a shared enterprise crossing the traditional divisions between "teachers" and "learners".
Learning OutcomesBy the end of the Educational Leadership and School Improvement route, students are expected to be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of literature and concepts relating to educational leadership, school improvement, and learning
- Show abilities in the critical analysis of educational leadership and school improvement issues and practices
- Apply knowledge and understanding of educational research to plan and implement inquiry into an issue related to the route
- Communicate the outcomes of their study and research through extended writing conforming to stipulated academic expectations and conventions
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The course is composed of two key elements:
- The research methods training course
- The Educational Leadership and School Improvement thematic route
The teaching team draws on their research to illustrate ideas, and occasionally welcome visiting academics to enrich the route still further. Students are encouraged to share their experiences and perceptions and to learn from each other while relating knowledge, principles, and insights into their own contexts. Participants come with varied backgrounds, from the UK and overseas, and as such the course has an international perspective.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Management, Organisation & Leadership View 1573 other Masters in Management, Organisation & Leadership in United Kingdom
- Applicants for this course should have achieved a UK II.i Honours Degree
- Two academic references
- Evidence of competence in English
- Written task
- Essay (ELSI)
- Education Leadership Experience
Candidates applying for the route would normally be expected to have been teaching for at least three years, and to have experience of exercising leadership beyond the classroom – often but not exclusively through formal positions of responsibility.
International14901 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 14901 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
National6081 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6081 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.