However, the exceptional flexibility of Cornell's graduate program provides ample opportunity for students to work across disciplinary areas. For example, arrangements exist for study of marine ecology, water resources, and various branches of applied geological science.
Geological Sciences at Cornell University's faculty members in other fields or divisions offer interdisciplinary courses including planetology and extraterrestrial geology, paleobotany, ecology and systematics, biogeochemistry, limnology, soil genesis, soil mineralogy, soil and rock mechanics, remote sensing, environmental fluid mechanics and hydrology, fluid dynamics, elasticity, geotechnical and earthquake engineering, regional planning, hydraulics and hydrology, and materials science and engineering.
- Synthesize existing knowledge, identifying and accessing appropriate resources and other sources of relevant information, and critically analyzing and evaluating their own findings and those of others
- Apply existing research methodologies, techniques, and technical skills
- Develop both qualitative and quantitative skills
- Communicate in a style appropriate to the discipline
Concentrations by Subject
- economic geology
- engineering geology
- environmental geophysics
- general geology
- geochemistry and isotope geology
- marine geology (minor)
- ocean science and technology
- petroleum geology
- planetary geology
- Precambrian geology
- Quaternary geology
- rock mechanics
- structural geology
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Geology View 266 other Masters in Geology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All Graduate School Requirements
- including the TOEFL Exam or IELTS Academic Exam for non-native English speakers
- three recommendations
- Students who are self-motivated and self-directed with strong quantitative backgrounds and a keen interest in and curiosity about the Earth are encouraged to apply. While helpful, prior study of geology is not a requirement for admission; applications from students with undergraduate degrees in other fields are welcome.
- Applicants are required to submit an online application, a statement of purpose, an official transcript from each college or university attended, and three letters of recommendation. Applicants whose native language is not English must also submit TOEFL or IELTS Academic scores.
- Please note: GRE scores are not required.
International29500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29500 USD per year during 12 months.
National29500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29500 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Ithaca
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.