Students benefit from a low faculty-to-student ratio and the faculty's integrated approach to the study of the planning, design, and management of the built environment and its effects on those using it.
The M.A. degree in Design, at Cornell University, is a two-year, post-professional degree program intended for students with an undergraduate degree in interior design, architecture, or product design who want to do advanced study and research program in interior design. The program culminates in a formal research thesis in which students are encouraged to systemically develop and test research based design solutions, theories, and methods.
Much of the research occurs in the field. The department also has a computer-aided design and facility management lab; human factors and ergonomics research labs; an art and environmental design gallery; and a wood workshop.
- Synthesize existing knowledge, identifying and accessing appropriate resources and other sources of relevant information and critically analyzing and evaluating one's own findings and those of others.
- Apply existing research methodologies, techniques, and technical skills.
- Communicate in a style appropriate to the discipline
- Understand the symbiotic relationship between design process and product.
- Understand the contextual implications related to design process including culture and whole systems impact.
- Demonstrate an understanding of a range of design methods.
Concentrations by Subject include:
- design + health
- design for interaction
- emerging technology for design
- sustainable design studies
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Graphic Design View 121 other Masters in Graphic Design in United States
- All Graduate School Requirements, including the TOEFL or IELTS Exam for Non-Native English Applicants
- Statement of purpose
- Three letters of recommendation
- GRE general test
- Official transcript
- M.A. only- Portfolio, see portfolio submission guidelines
- TOEFL minimum scores on Internet-based test (section minimums: writing: 20, listening: 15, reading 20: speaking: 22); overall minimum: 105
- Preparation in human factors, environmental psychology, facility planning and design, interior design, architecture, or related areas
- Bachelor's degree in human factors, psychology, facility planning and management or related areas such as industrial design, interior design or architecture, engineering, or anthropology
International20800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20800 USD per year during 24 months.
National20800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20800 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Ithaca
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.