The MPhil in Asian and Middle Eastern Studies (Chinese Studies) offered by the University of Cambridge is designed for highly motivated future researchers who have a substantial undergraduate background in Chinese studies or related fields but need more exposure to topic-specific or discipline-based analytical frameworks and more intensive training in primary source language(s) and research skills.
At the end of the MPhil programme, students will be expected to have:
- Acquired the ability to read, interpret and translate primary sources in Modern and/or Classical Chinese
- Acquired a good knowledge of the general scholarship on modern and/or pre-modern Chinese culture(s)
- Acquired an in-depth knowledge of the secondary literature relevant to the subject of their dissertation
- Developed the ability to formulate original research questions and produce a well-constructed argument to answer them, in the form of an independent piece of research based on the use of primary and secondary sources
- Developed independent archival and library- and Internet-based research skills concomitant with successful completion of a Masters-level degree in Chinese Studies
Students admitted for the MPhil in Asian and Middle Eastern Studies (Chinese Studies) will have the option to choose from one of the following programmes of study: Modern and Contemporary Chinese Studies or Pre-Modern Chinese Studies.
Modern and Contemporary Chinese Studies:Students then choose two optional papers from the following list:
- Chinese Literature and Modernity
- War and Modern China
- The Anthropology of China
- Japanese Imperialism in East Asia
- Chinese Linguistics
- Advanced Readings in Chinese on a relevant subject
- Alternative Exercise
Pre-Modern Chinese Studies:For Pre-Modern Chinese Studies, students need to choose three of the following papers:
- Classical and Literary Chinese Texts
- Early China
- Medieval China
- Asia in Theory
- Japanese for Sinologists
- Alternative Exercise
- 11 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Ethnic Studies View 643 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
- Applicants for this course should have achieved a UK High II.i Honours Degree.
- Two academic references
- Evidence of competence in English
- Asian and Middle Eastern Studies - language attainments
- Statement of interest
- Research proposal
- Sample of work
International28893 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28893 GBP per year during 11 months.
National12525 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12525 GBP per year during 11 months.
Living costs for Cambridge
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.