Students become conversant with the documentary tradition as well as with alternative media and new directions in documentary. In addition to the training in documentary production, students graduate from the program with substantive research skills in film criticism and film analysis. The Fine Arts Documentary Film and Video program is offered at Stanford University.
The non-production courses provide an intellectual and theoretical framework within which creative work is realized. The dual emphasis on production and theory classes fully prepares the student to undertake an academic position that typically requires the teaching of both film studies and media production.
Size of the Program
The Department admits 8 students each year to this program.
Time to Completion
Two years; students are required to be in residence at Stanford for the full two years of the program.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Documentary M.F.A. Thesis Seminar I
- Documentary M.F.A. Thesis Seminar II
- Film/Video Writing and Directing
- Nonfiction Film Production
- Digital Video
- Advanced Documentary Directing
- Advanced Video Production
- Producing Practicum
- Theories of the Moving Image
- Documentary Issues and Traditions
- International Documentary
- Documentary Perspectives I
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media View 288 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United States
To apply for admission to the Art History coterminal M.A. program, students must submit the Coterminal Online Application and the following:
- Statement of Purpose (up to 1000 words, double-spaced)
- Current unofficial transcript
- Coterminal Online Application
- Preliminary Master’s Program Proposal; this is a form in the application packet. Specify at least 45 units of course work relevant to the degree program with at least 40 units in Art History.
- Two letters of recommendation from Stanford faculty familiar with the student’s academic work, one of which must be from an Art History faculty member.
International23540 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11770 USD per semester during 24 months.
National23540 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11770 USD per semester during 24 months.
Regular quarterly tuition
Living costs for Stanford
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.