The scope of the field ranges from the small space and time scales of turbulent phenomena, through the diagnosis and prediction of weather events in meteorology, to continental and global scale climate change processes.
Cornell University's graduate program in Atmospheric Science is a relatively small, high quality program. Faculty members do not advise large numbers of graduate students, and this provides students with the opportunity to work closely with their advisor. This individual attention is combined with the advantages of a large and diverse research university, and the beautiful, livable environment of Ithaca.
We welcome applications from students with various backgrounds, such as physics, chemistry, engineering, geological sciences, and mathematics, in addition to the atmospheric sciences. Each of these backgrounds can be appropriate for an advanced degree in atmospheric science, but all applicants should have a solid undergraduate-level background in physics and mathematics.
- Make a contribution to scholarship within one of the sub-disciplines in the atmospheric sciences
- Learn advanced research skills
- Demonstrate commitment to advancing the values of scholarship
Programme StructureCourses include:
- All graduate degree programs in the Graduate Field of Atmospheric Science are individualized to suit students' interests, backgrounds, and goals.
- Students must, however, satisfy certain university and Field requirements, either through prior work at another institution or through work at Cornell.
- Each student works closely with a Major Professor and a graduate Special Committee.
- This group of faculty members determines the degree requirements consistent with each student's individual training and academic goals.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Astronomy & Space Sciences Climate Studies & Meteorology View 219 other Masters in Earth Sciences in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- all Graduate School Requirements, including the TOEFL Exam or IELTS Academic Exam for non-native English applicants
- two recommendations
- GRE scores are no longer required
International20800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20800 USD per year during 12 months.
National20800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20800 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Ithaca
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.