Coastal and marine environments are critical to local and national economies, support diverse habitats and communities, and provide a suite of ecosystem services. This field-intensive postgraduate Coastal & Marine Environments: Physical Processes, Policy & Practice programme at National University of Ireland, Galway examines emerging discourses surrounding the long-term health, use, and management of coastal and marine systems.Through lectures, workshops, ship time, field work, and independent research, MSc students are challenged to:
- Engage scientifically and critically analyse how coastal and marine systems function and are used by communities;
- Evaluate plans and policies that address the complex relationships between coastal and marine environments and communities;
- Assess how well policies and legislation work to ensure long-term ecosystem sustainability and mitigate negative impacts on coastal communities and sectors.
Recent MSc Graduates have gone onto PhD programmes, as well as joining the professional workforce as: consultants, ecologists, teachers and instructors, researchers, and managers. Employers have included: the Marine Institute, Irish Lights, EPA Ireland, MaREI, NPWS, Environmental Consultancies, Public Outreach and Education, Industry and the Private Sector.
More informationVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include
- Field and Laboratory Methods
- Coastal Processes and Landforms
- Marine Spatial Planning and Policy
- Dissertation (Research Paper)
- Biodiversity and Coastal Change
- Quaternary Coastal Change
- Geographic Studies Abroad
- Environment and Health
- Geographic Research and Dissertation Abroad
- Coastal Risk: management and prevention
- Coastal Hazards
- Reconstructing Marine Environments
- The Tropical Ocean and Global Climate
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesGeography Biodiversity & Conservation Natural Resource Management View 11 other Masters in Geography in Ireland
Completion of Undergraduate Degree (Level 8 or Equivalent) at Second Class Honours or Equivalent (+3.0 GPA). Selection is based on a review of candidate’s academic record at the undergraduate level, professional interests and goals, and level of relevant experience.
International15550 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 15550 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA6400 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6400 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.