One to two years of study is required, depending on language proficiency. The M.A. Field in Asian Studies is described at greater length below.
Graduate study at Cornell University is centered around a close working relationship between the student and his or her committee, and especially the principal advisor (the chair of the committee). Thus students admitted to the Asian Studies field are strongly encouraged to meet with their advisor/chair very early in their first semester of matriculation to develop a cogent plan for attaining their academic goals.
The Graduate School requires that students fulfill two "residence units," i.e., two semesters of on-campus study. The Field requires proof of language competency, completion of certain coursework with satisfactory grades, and submission of a thesis.
The Field of Asian Studies has three concentrations, and each student will choose one: East Asian studies, South Asian studies, or Southeast Asian studies. Students are, however, welcome to work between these geographical boundaries as they attain mastery of the language(s) and culture of one.
- Develop appropriate competence in an Asian language necessary for their research and/or applied objectives.
- Demonstrate significant knowledge of a particular humanistic. social-scientific, or applied area within a recognized Asian regional or national zone.
- Communicate effectively in written and spoken presentations.
- Uphold standards of academic integrity scholarly and/or applied research.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Concentrations by Subject:
- East Asian linguistics (minor)
- East Asian studies
- South Asian linguistics (minor)
- South Asian studies
- Southeast Asian linguistics (minor)
- Southeast Asian studies
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages View 606 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
- all Graduate School Requirements, including the TOEFL Exam or IELTS Academic Exam for non-native English applicants
- three recommendations
- GRE general test
- TOEFL or IELTS for foreign nationals
International29500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29500 USD per year during 24 months.
National29500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29500 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Ithaca
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.