In MIT’s Civil and Environmental Engineering department, professors work on “big engineering.” The department solves problems like optimizing automobile traffic flow, designing global logistics systems, and conducting environmental impact analysis. LGO students in Civil and Environmental Engineering have the flexibility to build their own curriculum from the ground up or take a pre-defined track.
During the Civil and Environmental Engineering program of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), students are paired with a faculty advisor who helps them select courses, integrates them into the faculty’s research group, and oversees their LGO internship.
Because civil engineering is highly applicable to global organizations, CEE LGO graduates have excellent career prospects. Students work in a diverse range of industries, from aerospace to e-commerce. Graduates are excellently qualified to lead projects on systems optimization, data analytics, and global supply chains.
Civil and Environmental Engineering (Course 1) is organized into five research areas that students can pursue:
- Ecological Systems
- Resources and Sustainability
- Structures and Design
- Urban Systems
- Global Systems
LGO students completing the MS in Civil and Environmental Engineering complete:
- The required courses in the LGO summer core
- Four engineering courses (at least three within the Civil and Environmental Engineering department) following the student’s interest and faculty advisor approval.
- Each LGO Civil Engineering student is paired with a faculty member, at the time of admission, who helps select courses that fulfill the department’s requirements and the student’s academic and career goals.
- An LGO Internship incorporating Civil Engineering content, resulting in a dual-degree thesis overseen by the student’s faculty advisor.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEnvironmental Engineering Civil Engineering & Construction Master in Business Administration (MBA) View 252 other Masters in Environmental Engineering in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A previous degree in science or engineering. Previous LGO CEE students have enrolled with degrees in industrial engineering, computer science, mathematics, electrical engineering, civil engineering, and geology.
- Defined research interests in line with Civil and Environmental Engineering’s department research areas.
- All LGOs are paired with a CEE faculty advisor during the admissions process.
- Applicants should have a stated interest in one of CEE’s research areas. Previous work experience within the applicant’s defined focus is not required. In the past, for example, LGO has admitted students with backgrounds in consulting, manufacturing, oil and gas, and environmental impact firms.
International53450 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 53450 USD per year during 12 months.
National53450 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 53450 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Cambridge
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.