As well as shipping companies and ports, potential employers include:
- logistics service providers
- customs authorities
- financial services providers
- handling agents
- insurance companies
- ship builders
Our teaching of the Shipping and Logistics course from Newcastle University is by lectures, seminars and personal supervision. It is delivered by leading staff based at the University, visiting professors and industrial experts. You will also benefit from industry site visits.
You choose from a variety of marine transport related topics for your dissertation using the research strengths of the School of Engineering.
If you don't have a marine background, we recommended that you read one of these books in advance of arriving in Newcastle:
- Reeds Sea Transport, Operations and Economics, 6th Edition, Patrick M Alderton, Adlard Coles Nautical, London, 2011
- Elements of shipping, 8th Edition, Alan E. Branch, Routledge, London, 2007
Seven taught modules worth 100 credits are delivered through semesters one and/or two. A dissertation or research project, worth 80 credits, is undertaken across the three semesters.
- Marine Liability Insurance and Law
- Marine Transport and Economics
- Research and Commercial Skills
- Shipping Market Analysis and Risk Management
- Maritime Logistics
- Ship Chartering and Operations
- Port Economics and Business
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- We suggest international students apply at least two months before the course starts. This is so that you have enough time to make the necessary arrangements.
DisciplinesTransport Management Marine Engineering View 43 other Masters in Marine Engineering in United Kingdom
A 2:2 honours degree, or international equivalent, in:
- a maritime-related subject
You will also be considered on an individual basis if you have non-standard qualifications and/or relevant practical experience.
International26400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26400 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11700 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK Part time: £5,850
Living costs for Newcastle upon Tyne
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.