Why study Drama with English (QTS) / English and Drama (QTS) at Middlesex University?
In drama, you will learn how to engage pupils through the practical nature of the lessons. In English, you will explore language, literature, expression and the role of communication.
- Drama with English: Trainees will be assessed meeting the Teachers’ Standards with drama as the main subject, but will also be able to demonstrate meeting the Teachers’ Standards when teaching English. The course offers a bespoke pathway depending on your degree specialism and other related experience and interests.
- English and Drama: Trainees on this pathway will be assessed meeting the Teachers’ Standards with English as the main subject. The course is equally weighted between English and drama, however the main subject for assessment of meeting the Teachers’ Standards will be English.
Teachers adept in both subjects are able to educate and inspire pupils, develop their creativity and shape vital skills that impact students' performance across a range of other subjects.
This Drama with English (QTS)/English and Drama (QTS) Postgrad. Cert. offered at the Middlesex University has excellent relationships with schools across Greater London and during your studies, you will undertake teaching placements in at least two secondary schools and have the chance to acquire skills in the application of new technologies in teaching and learning. Schools are carefully selected to suit each individual and expose them to a variety of imaginative and thought provoking learning strategies. Key experts from our partner schools are on hand to offer invaluable mentoring and support.
Through interactive workshops, tutorials, lectures and debates, this one-year full-time course enables you to meet and exceed the Teachers’ Standards for the award of qualified teacher status.
- Through sustained exposure to a classroom environment, you will learn to exercise initiative and sound judgement when confronted by challenging situations
- The diverse teaching placements enable you to understand, critically evaluate and respond to the needs of children in multicultural, multilingual and multi-faith settings and schools in an international, urban environment
- Many of our graduates have their first teaching job at their placement school
- You have the opportunity to study in an alternative educational setting as a third placement on the course. This can include a special school, a theatre and the British Library in London
- As a student of this course you'll receive a free electronic textbook for every module
Middlesex University has consistently high employment rates for its teaching programmes. This programme has an excellent relationships with schools in the Greater London area and many of our graduates start their first teaching post at the school where they completed a placement during the programme. This course gives you qualified teacher status.
- Secondary Professional Development
- Professional Knowledge and Pedagogy
- Drama with English Education - Compulsory for PGCE Drama with English (QTS)
- English and Drama Education - Compulsory for PGCE English and Drama (QTS)
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEducation Languages Theatre & Dance View 207 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United Kingdom
- You will need at least a 2.2 Bachelor honours degree in a subject relevant to your chosen subject area.
- For Drama with English, an A Level (or equivalent) in Drama or a performance related subject is preferred. This would be a requirement if your degree subject is less closely related.
- If you are joining the English and Drama pathway, a good A-Level pass (or equivalent) in English Literature is required where your degree subject is not closely related. Applicants for the English and Drama route might be advised to complete a subject knowledge enhancement course.
- You must have GCSE grade C / grade 4 or above in English and Mathematics or be retaking them this year. The equivalency tests by Equivalency Testing, A Star Teachers or any other appropriately accredited provider is also accepted. Functional skills or key skills or IELTS are not accepted.
- Entry onto this course requires an interview.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.