Whether you are interested in biological oceanography, conservation of marine mammals, coastal marine ecology or genomics, we offer plenty opportunity to receive a well-founded, expansive research-focused academic training in marine biology.
Together with your mentor (a professor in the marine biology programme) you will design your own tailored study program fitting your personal preferences and career plans. The Marine Biology programme from University of Groningen also offers a business and policy oriented track.
- About one third of the graduates continue in academic research with the pursuit of their PhD degree in The Netherlands or abroad.
- About one third of the graduates continue in various kinds of research and management related to fisheries and coastal zone management.
- About one third of the graduates work in the public sector, for example in journalism, teaching or communication.
- The courses will facilitate students from various backgrounds to successfully obtain a degree in Marine Biology. These courses will cover a large range of topics including chemical, physical and biological oceanography, marine conservation, marine community ecology, applied marine biology and marine evolution.
- Courses will be taught by lecturers from various research institutes, as well as external experts (mainly NIOZ). After a series of compulsory and facultative courses, the students will start their first research project.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Hydrology & Water Management View 72 other Masters in Biology in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- An academic Bachelor's in any field of Biological Sciences including a major in any of the following domains: biology, ecology, evolution, theoretical biology, behaviour, marine biology, molecular biology, genetics.
- This is merely an indication of required background knowledge. The admissions board determines whether the specific contents of this/these course(s) meet the admission requirements of the master programme for which you applied.
International18500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18500 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2168 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Groningen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.