The M.Sc. programme Environmental Governance (MEG) at University of Freiburg was established to train leaders to be able to reconcile different social perspectives with regard to the sustainable use of environmental resources as a basis for sustainable development - for any development, at any scale from local to global, and in any context worldwide.
Generally spoken MEG qualifies for jobs as intermediaries in the field of sustainable development and sustainable resource management with
- International and national organisations and administrations focusing on sustainable development / sustainable use of resources (e.g. World Bank, UNEP, national ministries, NGO)s;
- Companies for which a commitment to the principles of sus
- tainability has become a central strategic competitive advantage. (e.g. industry, utilities, insurance companies and banks);
- Projects aimed at planning and implementing successful future development schemes based on the sustainable utilisation of natural resources (at local, regional or national levels);
- Science and research centres.
At the same time, the programme offers further education to leaders (politics, industry, public administration) from transitional or developing countries and members of governmental and non-governmental development organisations as well as banks and insurance companies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Environmental Psychology and Sociology
- Environmental Policy Analysis
- Sustainability and Governance
- Global Societal Changes
- Regional Studies
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEnvironmental Sciences View 16 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- BSc or BA (or equivalent primary degree) well above average in Agricultural or Forest Sciences, Geography, Political Sciences, Sociology, Law, Economics, Ethnology, International Cooperation, Development Studies, Nature Conservation, Environmental Management, Land Use Planning, Natural Resource Management, among others.
- Your average grade / GPA from the Bachelor must be equivalent to minimum 2.5 or better, under the German Degree System (1.0 max – 4.0 pass). We use the Bayerische Formel to convert international grades.
International3000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1500 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per semester and a duration of 24 months.
As the Faculty of Environment and Natural Resources does not give away scholarships, candidates should apply for funding from other institutions
- DAAD- scholarships for young professionals from developing countries (EPOS)
- Other DAAD scholarships
- Organisations for Promoting Young Talent
- Other scholarship opportunities
- Support offered by the International Office of Freiburg University
- Scholarship databases
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.