ou'll unpack key industry themes, such as Formation Evaluation, Reservoir Engineering and Reservoir Simulation. You'll learn to evaluate technologies for safe production and for enhancing the recovery of hydrocarbon oil and gas, and you'll discover new trends and technologies that are shaping the future of the industry, such as data science and artificial intelligence.
And because you'll be taught by industry professionals and expert academic staff, you'll develop a skillset that's specifically designed to meet the demand for petroleum and gas specialists in the industry.
Please note, if you're an international student, you'll need to get clearance to study this degree course from the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office, under the Academic Tech Approval Scheme (ATAS).
On this course you'll:
- Learn about the key themes in the industry, including Petroleum Fundamentals and Exploration, Well Testing, Reservoir Engineering and Simulation, Well Engineering, Unconventional Resources, Data Science and Artificial Intelligence in Petroleum Engineering
- Learn how data science and artificial intelligence are improving productivity and resource management in the energy industry
- Complete an industry-relevant project on a subject of your choice
- Use the latest experimental and computational facilities in our labs. Our computer suites feature analysis and simulation software used by professionals including the Schlumberger package (ECLIPSE, Petrel), IPM Suite, Techlog, Kappa and CMG
- Sharpen your knowledge of current hardware and software development tools for design, development and implementation
- Be able to explore mud rheology and drilling as well as reservoir characterisation and simulation
- Benefit from the extensive resources available in our University library, including books, DVDs, electronic resources and maps
When you graduate, you'll have the skills and knowledge for a successful career in the expanding Petroleum upstream industry.
Career opportunities include:
- Oil and gas exploration
- Reservoir modelling
- Engineering and management
- Drilling and production
- Product marketing
- Management and finance
We'll provide you with as much support as possible in finding employment through close industrial contacts, careers events, recruitment fairs and individual advice.
This course is accredited by the Energy Institute on behalf of the Engineering Council as meeting the requirements for further learning for registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng). Candidates must hold a CEng accredited BEng/BSc (Hons) undergraduate first degree to comply with full CEng registration requirements.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Data Science and Artificial Intelligence in Petroleum Engineering
- Individual Project
- Petroleum Geoscience and Exploration
- Reservoir Engineering and Simulation
- Unconventional Resources
- Well Engineering and Production Technology
- Well Testing
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Make your application as soon as possible.
DisciplinesEnergy & Power Engineering Mining, Oil & Gas Artificial Intelligence View 227 other Masters in Artificial Intelligence in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A second-class honours degree or equivalent in a Science or Engineering subject. Professionals with other qualifications and a minimum of three years relevant industrial experience may also be considered.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.