Shape your engineering career for the rapidly changing demands of the gas and petroleum industry with a Master's course focused on the future of the sector.
You'll develop your skills in oil and gas extraction, as these will remain part of the world's energy mix for years to come. But you'll also look at the opportunities and threats of the transition to green energy and Net Zero carbon targets, examine environmental challenges and climate change mitigation measures such as CO2 capture and storage, and diversify your skillset with subjects such as data science and artificial intelligence.
You'll be studying with industry professionals and expert academic staff, working on key industry themes such as Formation Evaluation and Reservoir Simulation, as you follow an MSc Petroleum and Gas Engineering programme specifically designed to meet the demand for petroleum and gas specialists in the industry
- Future-proof your career by studying hydrocarbon production optimisation alongside greener energy and sustainability issues such as carbon capture and storage
- Use £5 million worth of industry-standard software packages, such as Petrel E&P, and attend talks from visiting software providers like Schlumberger, Kappa or CMG
- Visit projects and view active equipment on field trips to local hydrocarbon-producing well sites such as Wytch Farm, Stockbridge and Storrington
- Learn how to apply our unique AI-supported methodologies, and add data science and Python programmng to your petroleum and gas engineering skillset
Careers and opportunities
This course is designed to develop you for practical, analytical and managerial roles in oil and gas engineering, with the ability to apply what you've learned to associated industries in sustainable power, decarbonisation or geotechnical analysis.
We'll provide you with access to professional networks through site visits and guest lecturers, alongside support in finding employment through close industrial contacts, careers events, recruitment fairs and individual advice.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Data Science and Artificial Intelligence in Petroleum Engineering - 20 credits credits
Reservoir Engineering and Simulation - 20 credits credits
Well Engineering and Production Technology - 20 credits credits
Well Testing - 20 credits credits
Engineering Management Economics and Risk Analysis - 20 credits
Carbon Capture and Storage - 20 credits
Individual MSc Project - 60 credits
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesEnergy & Power Engineering General Engineering & Technology Mining, Oil & Gas View 62 other Masters in Mining, Oil & Gas in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Portsmouth and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A second-class honours degree or equivalent in a Science or Engineering subject. Professionals with other qualifications and a minimum of three years relevant industrial experience may also be considered.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.