The Master of Arts in English Philology at University of Göttingen provides an in-depth, specialised education in English Philology, covering linguistics as well as literary and cultural studies. It prepares students for jobs associated with Anglophone and North American territories and/or academically oriented jobs in journalistic, social or cultural sectors.
- Formal specialisation:Students can choose between different study areas and specialisations:
- transdepartmental module selection ('pick and mix'): a study variety based on modules from several different specialised departments in which modules from linguistics and literature are taken; this is especially interesting for Master of Education students because this way the teaching-focused training can efficiently combined with a subject-specialised focus.
- specialisation in the studies of literature and culture or linguistics: a study variety where students can specialize in one of these domains, combining modules from either both literary departments or from the linguistics departments.
- specialisation in Anglophone Literature and Culture: a study variety based on modules exclusively in the domain of Anglophone literature and culture. This enables students to major in British/English and/or postcolonial literature.
- specialisation in Linguistics and Medieval English Studies: a study variety based on modules exclusively from the Linguistics and Medieval Studies departments. This enables students to major in various areas of the language-theory section.
Focus of Research in Göttingen
Students are trained in both linguistics as well as literature and cultural studies. In the field of linguistics, it is possible to specialise either in the study of contemporary English or in historical linguistics. In the fields of literature and cultural studies, students can choose between British or Anglophone literature and culture and North American literature and culture.In linguistics, research focuses on syntax theories, semantics research and the historical analysis of language transformations in connection with the study of medieval English literature and culture in its European context.In literature and cultural studies, research focuses on postcolonial Anglophone literature; romantic and contemporary literature, on gender studies and cultural theory receive a special attention. In the North American Studies Department, the crossover between media and literature and theories of transnationality are of key interest.
Professional fields:This degree qualifies graduates for work in business, journalism and at non-government organisations (NGO) or in the governmental sector; scholarly work for publishing houses or at institutes of higher education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Practical English Language module
- Life and Institutions module
- Completion module (accompanies MA thesis)
- German language skills modules for international students with little or no German language competence
- Anglophone Literature and Culture
- American Literature and Culture
- English Medieval Studies
- English Linguistics
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Linguistics View 37 other Masters in Language Studies in Germany
- B.A. degree or equivalent degree with an overall grade of at least 2.5 (no additional oral examination). With an overall grade from 2.6 to 3.0 there will be an additional oral examination. Proof is required of credits in the sub-areas of English: Anglophone and North American literature and cultural studies; English linguistics; history of the English language, and language practice amounting to at least 50 credits.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Semester contribution fee: 355 euro
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.