An MBA from New York University provides essential management education that facilitates physicians' understanding of the larger impact the business of healthcare has on patient care, as well as how the specific clinical setting in which they work may impact their own patients. An MBA also provides essential skills to physicians contemplating opening a private practice or starting a business. Other career options for MD/MBA students are wide ranging and may include becoming a medical director, a consultant to pharmaceutical companies or a director of a public healthcare agency.
The MD/MBA degree from New York University takes five years to complete, representing a savings of one year compared to the length of time required to earn the two degrees separately. Students enroll in the School of Medicine on a full-time basis for the first three years before taking a dedicated year to enroll full-time at Stern to begin the MBA program. Enrollment at Stern begins in the fourth year and extends through the fall and spring semesters.
- Students are encouraged to take advantage of all career counseling and placement services at both Stern and the School of Medicine throughout the dual degree program. It is expected that MD/MBA students will pursue the typical medical residency application process during the fifth year of the program; however, those who have an interest in pursuing a career in business may utilize career services at Stern.
- As MD/MBA students have required medical clinical work during the summer between the fourth and fifth year of the program, they are not eligible to participate in MBA summer internship recruiting. Students who wish to have access to on-campus recruiting for permanent (full-time) positions upon graduation must complete the Ignite program, offered by Stern's Office of Career Development (OCD). The program must be completed during the first full year at Stern.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Medical School Required Courses
- Core Medical Clinical Clerkships
- Clinical Medical (S)Electives
- MBA Required and Menu Core
- MBA Capstone Core and Electives
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- MBA - 51 credits
- MD - 146 weeks
DisciplinesBusiness Administration Health Sciences Master in Business Administration (MBA) View 1416 other Masters in Business Administration in United States
- Applicants to the MD/MBA Dual Degree Program must currently be third year full-time students at the NYU School of Medicine.
- Standardized Test Information – GMAT or GRE (and TOEFL if required);
- Transcripts & Degrees;
- Professional Information;
- EQ endorsements must be submitted online;
- International Student Supplement.
International78700 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 78700 USD per year during 60 months.
National78700 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 78700 USD per year during 60 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.