The need for sustainable approaches to building design is recognised across the globe. As the effects of climate change are increasingly felt, the drive towards more energy efficient buildings is intensifying. Sustainable buildings need not be technologically complex, but a high level of sophistication in design procedures and performance analysis is required.
Accredited by both the Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE) and the Energy Institute, this programme will allow you to develop an understanding of building physics and acquire skills in building simulation, with an emphasis on sustainability. This course is the opportunity for you to graduate with a recognised qualification, satisfying the educational aspects of becoming a chartered engineer.
This Energy and Sustainable Building Design MSc/PG Dip/PG Cert offered at De Montfort University is designed for those who wish to understand the ways new and renewable energy can be harnessed in buildings, gain the ability to undertake the simulation and modelling tasks essential for credible building performance analysis, and work creatively within a multi-disciplinary design team, including building services engineers.
You will develop a broad insight into energy and sustainability issues, building physics and performance, energy analysis techniques and in-depth knowledge of computer modelling techniques for the design of modern sustainable buildings.
This course is aimed at both recent graduates and professionals working in relevant fields. The knowledge and advanced modelling skills you gain will enable you to work effectively as a building design professional or analyst. These skills are increasingly in demand in architectural and engineering consultancies, utilities and regulatory organisations, and local and national government.
Our graduates go on to work in a wide range of energy, buildings and sustainability roles – for example, energy and environmental consultants, in non-governmental environmental organisations, central and local government (including the European Commission), and multi-national organisations. Some of our graduates stay on at DMU to continue their academic training with PhD studies.
Recent graduate destinations include:
- The Carbon Trust
- Turley Associates
- National Energy Foundation
- European Commission
- Knightstone Housing Association
- National Grid
- Leicester City Council
- Mott MacDonald
- WSP Group
- David Chipperfield Architects
The course has been accredited by both the Chartered Institute of Building Service Engineers (CIBSE) and the Energy Institute for completing the educational requirements for chartered engineer registration.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Sustainable Development
- Sustainable Buildings
- Sustainable Energy
- Building Physics
- Building Performance Modelling
- Energy Analysis Techniques
- Study Skills and Research Methods
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- MSc (180 credits at level 7)
- Postgraduate Diploma (120 credits at level 7)
- Postgraduate Certificate (60 credits at level 7)
DisciplinesCivil Engineering & Construction Energy & Power Engineering Sustainable Energy View 283 other Masters in Civil Engineering & Construction in United Kingdom
- You should have the equivalent of a British Honours degree (2:2 minimum) in a relevant numerate subject, for example engineering, physical sciences, mathematics. Architects with an interest in computer modelling are also encouraged to apply.
- Equivalent qualifications from anywhere in the world will be considered
- If you have no formal academic qualifications but do have extensive industry experience we will consider your application on an individual basis
- Download and complete the international application form
- A copy of your qualifications
- A copy of your English language certificate
- A personal statement of at least 500 words explaining why you want to study your chosen course at DMU and any additional information that will support your application
- A copy of your passport
- Two references
International15100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15100 GBP per year during 12 months.
National7920 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7920 GBP per year during 12 months.
- EU: £15,100
Living costs for Leicester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.