The MA Translation and Interpreting degree from the University of Westminster provides you with extensive professional training aimed at the translation and interpreting markets, building on your existing language skills to develop a career in those sectors.
The MA involves translation as well as conference and public service interpreting between one main language (Chinese, French, German, Italian, or Spanish) and English. You'll learn how to research specialised subjects for professional translation and interpreting purposes and hone your translation and interpreting skills by extensive practice, applying insights drawn from linguistics and translation and interpreting theory as well as from professional practice.
- The Translation and Interpreting MA is designed to enable you to succeed as a professional linguist or freelance interpreter in the public and private sector and/or engage in further research. The course has an excellent graduate employment record, and our membership of Elia Exchange ensures that we can assist you in securing high-quality work placements both during the course and following graduation.
The University of Westminster is a member of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting, the Conférence Internationale permanente d’Instituts Universitaires de Traducteurs et Interprètes (CIUTI), Elia Exchange, and the UN MoU Network, a group of international signatories to a memorandum of understanding with the United Nations on cooperation in the training of language professionals for the UN.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Specialised Translation
- Professional Development
- MA Interpreting Project OR MA Translation Project OR MA Dissertation
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesTranslation & Interpreting Linguistics View 346 other Masters in Linguistics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A minimum of a lower second class honours degree (2:2). Linguists without a degree but with sufficient experience in translation and/or interpreting will also be considered.
- All applicants take an entry test consisting of written and oral components. If you are successful in the entry tests, we will interview you in person or on the telephone to determine if the Translation and Interpreting MA is right for you.
- The course is open to native speakers of Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Polish, and Spanish.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International17000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10500 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Part time: UK tuition fee: £5250 (Price per academic year)
- International tuition fee: £8,500 (Price per academic year)
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.